Canada’s Ministry of Health has confirmed two cases of the Omicron COVID-19 variant in two individuals who recently travelled from Nigeria to the country.
A statement by Ontario Ministry of Health said the two travellers had already been isolated.
“Today, the province of Ontario has confirmed two cases of the Omicron variant of COVID-19 in Ottawa, both of which were reported in individuals with recent travel from Nigeria”, the ministry said.
“Ottawa Public Health is conducting case and contact management and the patients are in isolation.
“In addition to the measures recently announced, we continue to urge the federal government to take the necessary steps to mandate point-of-arrival testing for all travellers irrespective of where they’re coming from to further protect against the spread of this new variant,” it said.
Also, Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos also confirmed Canada’s first two cases in a statement on Sunday evening, saying he is working with the province’s public health officials to contact trace the cases.
“As the monitoring and testing continues with provinces and territories, it is expected that other cases of this variant will be found in Canada.”
Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has labelled the Omicron variant as a variant of concern.
Persecondnews recalls that it was first reported by South African scientists with over 100 cases already logged.
To contain its spread, the EU, U.S., UK, Canada, Australia, UAE have announced travel ban on Southern African countries